Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It is so comic to hear oneself called old, even at ninety I suppose! Alice James

Well thank you Alice James for that quote;however I can't say I agree. As I write this first post I am still reeling from not one, but TWO age related comments I received today.

Nothing is more beautiful than my 4 year old granddaughter! But, she definitely surprised me today though when she said, "Grandma, You're getting old." I asked why she thought that - and yes I admit it, I was in total dismay. With childish innocence she replied, "Cause you got all those cracks in your face."

CRACKS????? My "laugh lines?" Yes, one and the same. Today they became cracks and what I HAD quietly noticed in the mirror is now out in the open.
Was she far off???

Apparently the young fellow in the liquor store wouldn't think so. In a casual conversation tonight I admitted I was new to town and didn't know anyone. Eager to help he recommended the COZY CORNER where I could meet lots of people. Helpful? Yep... But it was the Seniors Drop In Center!

So yesterday I was "a young 53... full of life and laughter, ready for a new adventure." Tonight I feel a whole lot older. My plan is made - I'm heading for a nice hot bath and then I'm going to smother myself in moisturizing cream.

Was it comical to hear myself called old? Not for a moment.... Tomorrow though ... who knows!


Abraham Lincoln:
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

No comments: